Friday, August 7, 2009

Waiting sucks

So today was supposed to be our 'big day'. We got up early and drove to Little Rock with the hope that we would leave with a plan of action. We got very little of what we were hoping for. We were there an hour early which was good. The hospital is huge. It is becoming a trend that every waiting room is packed in other specialty areas - except the one we go to. Apparently neurology isn't high in demand for most people. They took us right in and the doctor was waiting.
The first doctor we talked to was younger - probably a resident. He couldn't see the MRI scans very well with the computer he was using so I whipped out my printouts from the last appointment we got. He did a few motor-function things with Mark and then went to consult with another doctor. The other doctor was a much older man who obviously had more experience. He heard our story and did more motor-function stuff with Mark. The two doctors left a few times to talk and then came back in the room.
The older doctor sat down and got very serious. He really scared us. He agreed that it was an astrocytoma probably grade 2. He said very clearly that we will be facing surgery. He said that it is in a 'delicate' area of the brain and in a location that is hard to reach. With 40 years of experience under his belt, he 'could' do the surgery but preferred to have the guy across the street do it. The guy across the street is Gazi Yasargil. This guy is amazing according to all of the articles. If there is one person in the entire world who knows this stuff, it is this guy.
So now we wait. The doctor today has to contact the other neurosurgeon we saw two weeks ago for a Chief of Staff referral from Fayetteville to have Mark get a shot a Dr. Yasargil. We now have to wait for that. If we don't hear anything by Wednesday, Mark will followup with this.

The doctor said this is not a common tumor. He wouldn't say 'rare' but it is not common. He sees maybe 2 or 3 a year. We are hopeful if we can get in with this other Doctor but the question is will we get in with this other doctor... so the wait continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment