Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Good stuff

Tonight Mark came with me and the kids out to watch our neighbor's daughter play volleyball at the local high school. It was awesome that he wants to try to get out and will not hide at home. It is turning colder and he said he feels it around his head so we need to get him a hat. Especially this weekend becuase we are making plans to go watch the local Maple Leaf Parade. It will be colder than normal but the parade is supposed to be something to see!

We are doing really good. I admit I was a little afraid to tell the whole pathology of his 'growth'. I guess becuase I don't want people to feel like we made this whole thing up or something. That may be a silly feeling but that was what I felt. A lot of good people did wonderful things for us and I appreciated every single gesture. Even though it isn't cancer, Mark still had an abnormal mass in his head and it was still dangerous surgery. We just got very lucky that it turned out to be an abnormal mass and nothing more serious.

Tonight I have a smile on my face. I'm helping Mark break out of his 'everything is wrong with me' funk and we have plans to keep heading towards LIFE!

2 comments:

  1. Lori, I know the feeling of Normal being wierd. After all that Cooper went through it was difficult to accept normal.

    Neurosurgery is very simple but so dangerous. It was a big deal and I know everyone who knows you is just thankful that it is not cancerous and that Mark's recovery and prognosis is so good.

    Thanks for keeping us in the know.
    pax,
    Ron Vocelka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori,
    No need to apologize for the pathology of Mark's tumor! Astrocytomas aren't cancer, either, but they're devastating. Mark's tumor was real & couldn't be ignored. His symptoms were real, his headaches and seizures were real, his need for very delicate surgery was real. He is indeed a survivor of major surgery, which is no small feat. We celebrate his recovery, that you connected with Dr. Yasargil in just the right timing to do the surgery (without HIS refined skills and touch, Mark may well have had major life-long deficits to cope with!!!), that you and Mark have come through a terrific challenge as closer soulmates, really committed to your marriage and children and to living LIFE now that you've experienced the darker side of what can happen. All of these, as well as the amazing support you've had from family, friends and strangers, I see as God's hand directly upon your lives. I thank God for His care, provision and protection for you! The maturity that you & Mark have gained will help you deal with future crises you'll face along the way. Already it sounds like you are helping others deal with their brain surgery issues, which is a wonderful legacy you have as a result of these past few months and a very special way you can begin to "repay" the blessings that have been showered upon you! The fact that Mark's growth won't return is super wonderful news -- and truly icing on the cake!

    Thank you for your willingness to write what's really on your heart though these times. It's been a real privilege to share in your journey. Give your kids an extra hug from me!
    Joyce Krause

    ReplyDelete